-
October 2nd, 2007, 04:17 AM
#1
Inactive Member
In real life, what's the usable low frequency response of a 288-16H driver? I'm hoping the answer is around 400hz...
-
October 2nd, 2007, 11:50 AM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
You really have not asked a complete question.
In real life-
UNDER WHAT CONDITIONS?
If you read the power handling spec- it will be x amount of power with xxxx signal fronm xxxxx frequency. All of these 3 have an effect on the drivers longevity.
If you are going to cross it a t 400 in a live music situation and throw full power at it, you are asking for trouble.
If it's for recorded music in a home stereo situation and you reduce power , you might get away with it.
As you go lower in frequency the excursion (movement of the diaphragm) increases rapidly. At higher power you will exceed the thermal and mechanical limits of the driver.
This is a bad thing BTW.
-
October 2nd, 2007, 02:25 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Oldguy, I like your new avatar!
-
October 2nd, 2007, 05:08 PM
#4
Inactive Member
Me too.
(How much to animate my Lissajous?)
-
October 2nd, 2007, 05:13 PM
#5
Inactive Member
Somebody oughtta tick him off so we can see if he clips...
-
October 2nd, 2007, 07:17 PM
#6
Senior Hostboard Member
Originally posted by aauwen:
In real life, what's the usable low frequency response of a 288-16H driver? I'm hoping the answer is around 400hz...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you want to go down to around 400hz, you should get a 290 driver with its phenolic diaphragm, Altec actually rates it down to 300hz with the appropriate horn, ie 311x, 203B, 1003b,or 1005. But you will need a super tweeter for the high end >~5kHz.
-
October 2nd, 2007, 09:54 PM
#7
Inactive Member
-
October 3rd, 2007, 12:20 AM
#8
Senior Hostboard Member
Originally posted by aauwen:
In real life, what's the usable low frequency response of a 288-16H driver? I'm hoping the answer is around 400hz...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Very low, well below 100 Hz, but the trade-off is a impractically huge horn with a much lower usable HF corner frequency. For 400 Hz you can either extend just the perimeter of a 300 Hz multi-cell to make it longer with a larger mouth or make some DIY horns.
-
October 3rd, 2007, 04:38 AM
#9
Inactive Member
Sorry for the lack of info. I'm looking to redo the mid and high sections of a pair of khorns. I have several pairs of horns to choose from, 311-90s, 803Bs, 1003Bs, 805s, 1005Bs, 511Bs and 511Es to choose from. For drivers I have pairs of 288-16As, 288-8Ks, 288-16Hs, 290Es and 299-16As. I plan on sending the 290s to Great Plains to be refurbed and 16ohm diaphrams put in them. So, from my limited knowledge, the best combo seems to be the 311-90s with the re-diaphramed 290s, but I was also going to try the 288-16Hs on them and also try those drivers on the 1003B horns. For tweets, I have a new pair of 2404Hs. I have some pair of the small Altec drivers. Is there a recommended tweeter horn and small driver combo that might be a better high end than the 2404s?
-
October 3rd, 2007, 10:57 PM
#10
Inactive Member
Originally posted by aauwen:
...I have several pairs of horns to choose from, 311-90s, 803Bs, 1003Bs, 805s, 1005Bs, 511Bs and 511Es to choose from. For drivers I have pairs of 288-16As, 288-8Ks, 288-16Hs, 290Es and 299-16As...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not trying to be overly-critical or rude, but wouldn't it have made more sense to decide what to use BEFORE buying all that stuff?
Not sure if a reply will help or not, it's already well beyond my ability to comprehend.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks